- 7 years of experience in a User Experience, Design or other closely related role.
- 3 years of experience managing technical projects and working cross-functionally with engineering teams, business owners, and product managers.
- Experience with design tools, graphic formats and user interface technologies.
- Experience designing for emerging markets and closely tracking relevant User Interface (UI) trends.
- Experience in the government and education sector in an internet, media or technology environment.
About the job
Design and user experience (UX) are at the forefront of everything we do. The job of an Interaction Designer is to envision how people experience our products and bring that vision to life in a way that feels inspired, refined and even magical. In an Interaction Designer role, you’ll take on complex tasks and transform them into intuitive, accessible and easy-to-use designs for billions of people around the world—from the first-time user to the sophisticated expert. Achieving this goal requires collaboration with teams of Designers, Researchers, Engineers and Product Managers throughout the design process—from creating user flows and wireframes to building user interface mockups and prototypes. At each stage, you will anticipate what our users need, advocate for them and ensure that the final product surprises and delights them.
Given the high rates of smartphone adoption in emerging markets where literacy rates continue to be low and Google's speech technology, we believe we have an opportunity to significantly improve literacy and long term opportunity through a speech-based reading tutor app for children.
As a Senior UX Designer on this team, you will build for children whose caregivers often have low digital literacy themselves. You'll design clean, inclusive and intuitive experiences with positive social impact. Your aim is that children globally will borrow devices from parents and friends not just to watch YouTube, but also to learn to read!
- Design compelling user experiences that are engaging and sticky enough that we can engage a user to learn to read while enjoying it.
- Design for extreme simplicity such that the product is immediately usable by anyone, regardless of age, education level or previous exposure to digital products.
- Design for pedagogical effectiveness.
Due to the current health crisis related to COVID-19 and the escalating visa/travel restrictions in place, we're currently unable to extend offers to anyone who cannot work from India due to lockdown visa/travel restrictions, or other restrictive measures until further notice. Consequently, we will be prioritizing candidates who can start in this location by set date as expected. We're keeping the situation under review and would adjust our position should the restrictive measures be removed later on.